Helping Hands is a new OJC initiative being developed in conjunction with Jewish Care. The project recruits, trains and supports volunteers who can offer their time to help other people within the Oxford Jewish community.
Examples of the kind of support that can be offered include:
- Befriending people who are lonely or isolated, through visits or telephoning
- Meeting shopping needs • Help with correspondence
- Escorting people to appointments
- Help setting up on-line shopping
- Walking a dog for someone who is ill
- Providing meals for someone just out of hospital
The project is premised on the belief that everyone - regardless of age or background - has skills which can be shared with others. And everyone, at some time in their lives, may need a bit of extra support themselves. Volunteers offer as little or as much time as they can and identify the kinds of help they feel they can offer.
Anyone interested in volunteering, in need of support, or aware of someone else in the community who could use support, should email email@example.com or ring 07513 787870 and leave a message.